Do you check your sump pump during off-sesaon? If you are like most people, you only check your sump pump when disaster hits! Here are some things to check for periodically to make sure your sump pump is working properly when you need it most.
- Make sure the pump is plugged in to a working ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet and the cord is in good shape.
- Ensure the pump itself is standing upright.
- Physically remove a submersible pump from the pit and clean the grate on the bottom.
- Ensure the outlet pipes are tightly joined together and draining out at least 20 feet (6 meters) away from your foundation.
- Make sure the vent hole in the discharge pipe is clear.